Welcome to the Homestead Civic League Website. This online tool is an additional resource to provide our residents with information. Within this Website you can find:
- Homestead's annual event calendar & gallery.
- Civic League membership and meetings information.
- Recent Homesteader newsletters and archived editions.
- A bulletin board featuring information pertinent to Homestead residents.
- Homestead Civic League ByLaws.
- Public Schools in the school district to which Homestead is assigned.
- Updates on the Woodstock Park Improvement Project.
History of Homestead
The property which is today known as Homestead was purchased and developed by the well-known Tidewater housing developer, W.W. Reasor. He acquired approximately 90 acres of land from William F. Hudgins, Jr. in December 1963. Mr. Hudgins, a life-long resident of Virginia Beach, farmed the land for many years. After a visit to the famous Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, Virginia, he named the first road which was cut onto the property Homestead Road. Mr. Reasor decided Homestead would make a very appropriate name for this development of approximately 200 residential home sites.
A search of official records at the Courthouse reveals that in November of 1893 W.B. Frizzell and B.F. Davis purchased the land from M. Penrose Allen of Philadelphia, PA for $504.68.
Parts excerpted from the 1984 Homestead Civic League directory, preface prepared by Mrs. Stephen Sekeres, Jr.